Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Day 15: West Newton, PA

Date:          July 23, 2019
Distance:      26.7 miles
Average Speed:  9.9 mph
Maximum Speed: 25.5 mph
Feet Climbed:  74 feet
Day Trip:      Connellsville to West Newton, PA



We headed down for breakfast around 8am at the Cobblestone Inn (which has no cobblestones anywhere, by the way).  It wasn't a great breakfast, but we knew we didn't have far to ride today before we got to West Newton (there is no East Newton, by the way).  It had rained quite a bit yesterday and through the night and I suggested we delay our start to let the trail dry up a bit.  Also, we could watch Le Tour while we waited.  So we grabbed a couple of cups of coffee and headed back to the room to relax on the beds catching up on the news and watching the tour.  Today's race ended around 11:30 and because house cleaning had already knocked on our door asking when we would be leaving, we quickly packed and were on our way a little before noon.

 
My best breakfast shot was when Di blinked


Hurrying to leave the hotel (don't forget your helmet, Di!)

As in prior days, the trail brought us along the river.  I saw a brace of ducks near the water's edge as we headed away from the hotel.
There are the ducks off to the right
I also saw this a totem pole in the park.
Totem poles make me think of The Family Stone
I was so busy noticing things that I hadn't noticed Di had ceased riding and was stopped in the middle of the path. As I rode closer I could see what the problem was.  A gaggle of geese were planted right in the bike trail and were refusing to move aside to allow Di to ride through.  It was a Di versus geese standoff. 
Di stopped in the trail

Geese daring Di to come through
The geese won.  Di backed up and went through the parking lot to get around the them.  If you've ever had a goose come charging and snapping at you, then you would know Di made the right choice. Respect the goose.

Di happy the geese encounter is behind her
It was another perfect day for riding.  It was mostly cloudy with temperatures in the mid-seventies and the trail was almost completely dry.  And, the ride to West Newton from Connellsville is downhill! Its a treat to get a riding day like today.

Mining disaster of June 10, 1901 (not all bad things happen on June 10)

This is Di's posture as she waits for me to take yet another photo
At one point in today's ride, Di got ahead of me. She then stopped and as I approached her, I could see she had her phone out to take a picture.  She pointed it at me and I kept riding.  In an exasperated voice, she yelled "Do something!" "I am, I'm riding my bike", I replied.  "At least wave!", Di exclaimed.
Totally candid shot of me riding
 
We arrived in West Newton around 2:45pm.  We couldn't check into our B&B yet, so we rode around town looking for a place to eat.  We found Gary's Cafe and went in for some lunch.  Di ordered a lemonade and asked about the size options.  The waitress replied that the lemonade came in one size, jug.  So Di ordered a jug of lemonade.
Di and her jug-o-lemonade

Gary's Cafe
I wasn't that hungry, but the meatloaf sounded good, so I ordered that.  I got two big slabs of meatloaf, a pile of mashed potatoes, apple sauce and two pieces of grilled bread. I ate it all.
I'm ready for the meatloaf challenge

You can walk, run, bike, drive, or swim from one side of West Newton to the other

Di is pensive, thoughtful and contemplative (she contains multitudes)
 
We checked into the Bright Morning B&B and were told that this is one of the few nights per week that the restaurant was open for dinner.  We made reservations for 7:30 and then went to our room to relax a bit.  We then walked around the town a bit, but that seemed like a lot of work, so we headed back to the B&B, got ourselves a couple of glasses of wine, and sat on the front porch watching other bicyclists ride by on the Great Allegheny Passage. Occasionally a rider would look our way and we would raise our glasses by way of greeting.  Weirdly, not one ever waved back. 
Apres ride beverages
 
Di and I both ordered the quinoa with cheese, zucchini, mushroom and tomato.  I was still full from Gary's meatloaf and didn't think I could eat it all, but I did.  It was delicious.
Quinoa for all


Smothering in cheddar cheese makes everything taste better
 
By now I was ridiculously full, so when I ordered the blueberry cake for dessert, I must confess there was a part of me that was surprised I was doing so. Fortunately, that part of me was small and when the cake arrived I ate it all. 
That cake isn't long for this world



Tonight, as I reflect upon what I have written here in the blog, it is possible I may have stumbled upon some insight into why at present I have this uncomfortable stomach ache. Ah, who knows.

Tomorrow we head to Pittsburgh.  We are already looking forward to Thursday, when Brian and Michelle to arrive.  Then the vacation part of our vacation begins!

P.S. I forgot to say that my mom paid for dinner again tonight! Thanks, Mom, dinner was wonderful and thank you again for your generosity.  You are keeping Di and me well fed on this trip.

















2 comments:

  1. I spent way too much time this morning researching a brace of ducks. Wiktionary says "The brace is probably (originally) the cord/strap that ties the two animals together. As for ducks, you would probably only tie them together if they were dead." That just cracked me up. The meatloaf for lunch and the blueberry cake for dinner looked great. Enough said. Just took time out of the brace research to print boarding passes for tomorrow morning. We are getting excited!! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, all alone at the Inn, Haha! I must say pictures of your rooms always look so spacious and nice. And I must say again that this was an exceptional bike path, considering the gorgeous scenery along the way and all the beautiful bridges!! Oops! I saw other customers sharing dinner with you at Gary's. You both look so happy in that picture while drinking your wine! So glad you enjoyed your meal, You're Welcome!! Take Care, Love you!

    ReplyDelete