Friday, July 19, 2019

Day 11: Cumberland, MD

Date:                      July 19, 2019
Distance:                0

Average Speed:      N/A

Maximum Speed:    N/A

Feet Climbed:        0

Day Trip:                Cumberland, MD


Today was a scheduled rest day in Cumberland, Md, so what did we do?  We went for a bike ride, of course.  We arose at 8:15 and by 8:30 we went down to enjoy the free Marriott breakfast.  We planned to get our food and return with it to our room so we could watch Le Tour while we breakfasted, but that ended up seeming like way too much work, so we stayed in the dining room for breakfast.
I'm working on my breakfast posture

We watched Le Tour until the end and were thrilled to see Julian Alaphillippe win the individual time trial.  We were so inspired we decided to go for a ride ourselves, though not at the same speed.  It was going to be a hot day, but as of yet it was still in the 80's, so it was a good time to go out.  Di wanted to test how she felt and only wanted to ride a few miles, so we headed onto the C&O Canal in the direction of Paw Paw (I like saying Paw Paw).
Di ventures out of the Marriott

The trail has a lot of shade and is very flat , so it was pretty easy going.  We rode in tourist mode and Di said she felt great and was happy to get a little exercise.  After a couple of miles we turned around and headed back to the Marriott. Even though Di felt good, we didn't want to risk overdoing it. 
Di enjoying the trail

Easy riding on the C&O

Riding along the Potomac

Di is happy to be on her bike again

Di heading back to town

Di snapped this picture of me snapping

On the bridge leading to the C&O from Cumberland


Poser
I rode back to Cumberland with Di and left her at the bike shop.  She was going to inquire about a shuttle to our next stop, Meyersdale, PA.  I rode back to the trail and headed back in the direction of Paw Paw (hee-hee) again.  It was such a beautiful day and the canal is so picturesque and peaceful that I just wanted to spend more time on it.
Its not always picturesque on the canal (what is this thing?)

My bike taking a rest on the canal
  
Even the algae is pretty
I ended up riding 21 miles today, which is a lot considering it is a rest day.  By the time I finished riding it was 95 degrees.  It didn't feel that hot while riding because of the natural canopy blocking the sun, but I could feel the heat when I left the trail for the hotel and was hit with the full blast of the sun.   I quickly hosed off my bike at the cleaning station provided by the hotel and entered the frigid air of the lobby.  It was frigid for all of two minutes, after which I quickly acclimated and it no longer seemed cold at all.

Di was relaxing in the room, so I quickly cleaned up and we headed out for some lunch.  We first went to the bike shop were Di confirmed her reservation on the shuttle for tomorrow.  By this time it was 97 degrees, so we walked to the nearest eatery to the bike shop, which was the European Desserts and More.  The More of the title refers to sandwiches and meat pie and coffee, of which we happily indulged. I got the meat pie, which came shaped like filo dough cigars and accompanied by a small salad with pickled peppers.  Di got the chicken cordon bleu sandwich.  We both got iced coffees.
The iced coffee came in regular coffee mugs!

After lunch, we decided to walked around the town of Cumberland.  It was 97 degrees at this point and this was obviously a ridiculous plan, but we did it any way.  
This is where last night's dinner came from (not from an actual crabby pig, but the restaurant)

Di stayed in the shade whenever it could be found

Di espied a CVS and couldn't resist entering and asking the pharmacist for a blood pressure machine so she could check her vitals.  I am happy to report her blood pressure remains in the normal range. 
Taking her blood pressure makes Di happy

We bought some Fiji Water and cashews and as we exited the CVS and its lovely air conditioning we were shocked by how hot it was.  We decided to immediately return to the Marriott by the shadiest route we could find.  I napped for a little while and when I awoke, Di said she wasn't really that hungry and didn't want to go out.  I didn't either, so we ate cashews for dinner.  Once you start on cashews its pretty hard to stop, so I must confess that I'm still eating them now as I write this blog.

Tomorrow, Di is taking the 8:15 shuttle to Meyersdale.  I will leave at the same time by bicycle.  It won't get truly hot here until after 1pm, and given that it is only 33 miles to Meyersdale, I should get in around 11:30am, long before the brutal heat arrives. That is our best laid scheme, anyway.
 




3 comments:

  1. Still enjoy the food shots for some strange reason. I think I have a problem as I can't wait to see what you guys eat. Glad you are going slow and steady in this crazy heat. We're looking forward to next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Brian,love seeing what's on your plates! What a beautiful bike path, the scenery is so pretty. Hey, that looks like a large onion on the canal! I like what your having for lunch (no MD crabs). Diane, you do look so happy being on your bike again, and I'm so glad you are not biking the length of your destination to different towns, Steven you should do the same!! I am going to catch up on your previous blogs. Love you, take care and stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete